Wednesday 23 May 2007

AIM in life...

Im sure each one of us has been asked this question of 'what is ur aim in life?' at some point of time... way back in 2nd grade or at the juncture of finishing 10th grade where one has to make a choice of the subjects that will form the base of one's career.. while entering college.. while opting for a Post Grad course... whenever!

I've had a long list of Aims in my life! A teacher, sometimes a doctor (which my friends consider I am ;).. ), to settle down as the big bad CEO of some company someday, or may be even to take things as they come... My aim has never stationed for long at any one of these. But! I have had one peculiar aim and it is one thing that has remained constant for a long time now... Yeah, right from 3rd grade I guess... To become a Housewife!!

It all started when I was studying for some exam way back then, and my sister came up to me and told me what she had noticed in my aunt's house (who happens to be a housewife) after spending a day there..... that was it! I had decided then that I wanted to become a Housewife :) And mind you, I am not feeling bad or repenting for it. Somewhere deep down within, I cherish it!

Today is a world where women seem to be doing wonders and miracles and going head strong with men. I appreciate it and most definately do feel proud about it. When I see the fairer sex as astronauts, autoricksaw drivers, scientists, teachers, CEOs, designers... (and the list is loooonng!) I feel so proud of them.. But like I said, I somehow dont fully associate myself with any of those.

The face is the index of the mind goes the famous saying. And it is so bloody true in my case. I've heard enough of people saying I'll be a good housewife or that kinda material...!

I personally dont find anything wrong about it or guilt troubling me for having such an ambition. The fact that it has sustained over the years itself is a testimony! I always hated anything that needed some grey matter up above, to be used...

Now being done with college, no more of those lovely vacations I've lived with all along... Those were the days anyone would look forward to. And as far as I was concerned, I loved sitting at home and doing nothing! Even the kiddy-games I've played with my cousins were those where I would take on the role of a housewife!! I was so fascinated about wearing a Sari and I would 'drape' myself around with a dupatta!!! Oh ya... It would be incomplete and unfair if I dont mention about my fancy for long hair :)

----> For 17 long years, I had never seen myself with long hair... always had a 'boycut'! But somehow very often I could see myself with nice long hair.. (!!)coloured infact.. in shades of all the skirts I had then! Yeah, I would put on the elastic side of the skirt on my head and flip the rest behind. And there I was.... admiring myself with long tresses in the mirror! To add to it, the Dupatta as the sari so complemented my look of a Housewife! We used to play with 'choppu' and I'd stealthily smuggle rice, dal and veggies from the kitchen.I would cook and do up the tiny house made of the center table (it was a nice rectangular one which could comfortably and cozily house me) or the tent-house which was a more spacious one made of blankets, bedspreads and clothes clips that would support it... :)


Way back then..............

Whats more evident........ need I say anything more?!

9 comments:

Aru said...

from the feel of it everytime u say you want to be a house wife i have a feeling that you are increasingly getting ready to marry !!.. Great going and regarding your liking to be a house wife , i feel it is because you have nothing better to do. After all wat can 30k/ann do ?!!..:)

Shiv said...

:) Do u know that housewives is an impolite term? and the polite version is a Home Maker... Now, that is a lot of responsibility. Appreciate the fact that u were honest abt what u wanted, and didnt put up a fascade! :)

(Oh by the way, ur profile shows u as a male! ?????) n u want to be a house wife! :)

Vaishnavi S Rao said...

@ Shiv
I really didnt know that Housewife is an impolite term.. thanks for the info there! thought they could be used inter-changeably.

ahem, i've redone the slight (but majorrrr) part of my profile ;)

Vaishnavi S Rao said...

@ Aru
dai.. which oor la wanting to be a Home-Maker (As shiv said it!) suggests eagerness toward marriage?!
nothing better to do eh... wait n watch dear! in just less than a week.....:)

Anonymous said...

hey a diff one again.... great going vaish..... and dos thngs abt playin with "choppu" reminds me of the times wen i used to play with my cousins waaahhhh!!!..... sweet memories.... :) and ya vaish get married fast... waiting to attend a frnds marriage and would be nice if its u...lol....

Aru said...

For your information,
i wanted to be a gas baloon seller when i was a kid.
And now being in s/w i feel i should have !!.

BUDU said...

Hey there,

I liked the way you have penned your thoughts! It was fun to read and thought inducing as well... especially the pregnancy part! Smart Answer ma'm! keep blogging the
Adios
Praveen

Unknown said...

vaish.. i am readin ur blog for the first time.. had read tht stella maris thing before.. quite nostalgic after i read it man.. choppu samaan..ur boy cut..man.. lol :) good goin.. keep bloggin..

Unknown said...

very good aim in life.. being a housewife is more difficult than a working woman..cos im doing that..
and that pregnancy answer is awesome!! even i think about taht.. with all the technology(IUI,test tube baby, cloning,etc)they have changed evrything except this one.
"choppu" things.. lol.. we would go shopping to buy all choppu samaan.. now my kids started to do that..love to see them playing with all those things..
i still have our 12th std photo..your "boycut" was too good di.. why did u grow ur hair?? athaan super aa irunthuchu..